To serve 6 persons
|Mutton medium pieces||1.25 kg|
|Sliced onion||500 g|
|Ginger crushed||2 inch piece|
|Garlic crushed||4 big cloves|
|Green chilli crushed||4 nos|
|Tomatoes chopped||2 nos|
|Coriander leaves chopped||35 g|
|Mint leaves chopped||30 g|
|Refined oil||60 ml|
|Salt to taste|
|Melam Thalassery Biriyani Masala||2½ - 3 tsp|
|Rose water||30 ml|
|Pandanus leaf (Biriyani Kaitha)||1 no|
|To make Ghee Rice || |
|Onion ||75 g|
|Ghee ||30 ml|
|Refined oil||70 ml|
|Kaima Rice||5 cups (1 cup – 200 g)|
|Hot water||7 ½ cups (1 cup is 150 ml)|
|Green Cardamom||½ tsp|
|Cloves|| ½ tsp|
|Mace scraped||½ tsp|
|Salt to taste|
• Pressure cook the mutton and keep aside.
• Heat oil in a vessel.
• Add sliced onions and saute the onions until they start turning colour.
• Add the crushed ginger, garlic and green chillies and saute until the raw smell is gone.
• Add the Melam Thalassery Biriyani Masala and saute for a minute.
• Add tomatoes and saute. Once the tomatoes are mashed and the oil starts separating, add the curd and lemon juice.
• Season with salt.
• Then add the mutton.
• Cook further till the oil separates again.
• Finish with chopped mint, coriander leaves and pandanus leaves.
• Fluff up the ghee rice using a fork and transfer the rice on to the mutton masala.
• Drizzle 15 ml ghee and rose water.
• Cover and put on dum for 10 minutes. N.B.: This biriyani can be prepared using chicken also. To make Ghee Rice Cooking Method:
• Wash and drain the rice.
• Heat oil and ghee in a thick bottomed vessel.
• Add the spices and sliced onion, till onion becomes soft.
• Add the rice and saute till the rice is coated with oil.
• Add water and salt and mix well.
• When water level goes below the rice level, cover with a tight fitting lid.
• Transfer the vessel on to a pre-heated tawa.
• Cook further for 10 minutes on a very low flame and switch off the flame and leave it on the tawa.